Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 6 - Amsterdam

Amsterdam......what can I say!  This is another moment on our trip where I'm looking for words to describe Amsterdam.  It definitely is a city of contrasts - beautiful, stunning, pristine, dirty, smelly, run down, crowds, no crowds.

I thought Venice had canals but Amsterdam is crowded with them. Some canals are filled with rubbish and other canals pristine and filled with house boats.




We arrived in Amsterdam at 1pm and had planned our day to finish about 10pm.  We weren't far off the plan.  

Amsterdam Centraal - Amsterdam Station.  Stunning!
With so much to do and see we headed straight for the Red Light area to check it out.  It was more me that wanted to check out the area but Tony was more than happy to tag along.  This is the area that is dirty, smelly, run down, over crowded and the canals are just littered with rubbish.

But it had great pubs that were full of rowdy men on a weekend away from reality!


Finding a nice bar was important and it didn't take long.  There are loads to choose from.  We just had to try the local beer - Bavaria - and it went down like a treat.


Now, the Red Light district is known for the ladies in the window and also the hash and hash cookies. But people have said it's changed a lot since the '80's.  The drugs were a lot easier to get back then and you were offered them by dodgy characters as soon as you walked out of the station.  Where we had our second beer, the nice part of town, was a ghetto back then.  So they have cleaned up Amsterdam a lot and in a lot of ways.  

But I can't say the Red Light area is seedy......it's very touristy and it is what it is!

I just had to stop for a rest in the cool!




The famous windows of Amsterdam's Red Light area.

This is another one where you just have to be there.  This is a mens urinal in the street and they pee in the grid on the ground.  And the stench is unbelievable.


With the Red Light area out of the way we were in search of the nicer part of the city.  It took a bit to find it but we were determined.  We walk about 1km before we found our oasis.

Now this is the pristine, not as crowded, stunning, clean part of the city.  Of course we had to stop for another beer - it was a hot day you know.




Now, after a lot of walking my feet were starting to ache and all I wanted to do was sit in the cool  and recuperate, but Tony had other ideas.
  • "Let's get a paddle boat" he said
  • "It will be great" he said
  • "We'll do 1.5 hours?" he said

I agreed but only for 1hr and I'm glad as it was hard work.  Tony claims that he did all the paddling as he was sweaty by the end but I still claim I was the wind beneath his wings as I had sore legs.

But I have to say it was a beautiful way to see the city. 




My tour guide! 
See Tony, I WAS paddling!












We definitely earned another beer - don't you think?

Time for some more relaxing, dinner and a few drinks.






I don't know why Tony insists on putting all his drinks in front of me.  Anyone would think I like a drink or two!
Lamb Stew with prunes, dates, figs, vegies and cous cous!
This young chap reminded me so much of Craig!
My ride home!



I know how he feels haha! 
They sell shoes in Amsterdam too, you know!
Amazing cheese shop 






We put our weary bodies on the train back to The Hague and it didn't take much to have a good night sleep.


Tomorrow, we are off to Delft to see the pottery factory and to buy some pieces.  Then to Kinderdijk to see the windmills.  But the highlight is when Tony will show me where he lived in The Hague for 2 years back in the 80's and where he worked.




















2 comments:

  1. looks like you are having a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jo, How is your holiday going in the UK?
      It's been a great time here. Lot's to see and do.

      Delete