Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Day 2 - Exploring Frankfurt!

It's amazing what a good night sleep will do.  We are ready to hit the town of Frankfurt!


Tony is very fluent in German and he's been so patient explaining German words to me and also being the translator.  But I'm finding that I'm understanding more of the German language when Tony speaks to a shop assistant etc.  Like today when we went to the shopping mall looking for a watch for me.  We found the watch I wanted.....12 euros/$18 AU - Tony was so excited with the bargain, his eyes just sparkled.   The sales lady was so lovely and helpful and I found that I could work out what she and Tony were saying.



It was a great morning of shopping as it was SALE time.....did I mention Tony loves shopping just as much as I do?  I'm a lucky girl!!



The shopping mall is amazing and the architecture of one of the  buildings defies understanding.  


Amazing architecture
The inside of the shops
amazing sculptures

Very lovely sales lady who I bought my watch from.
With our shopping done we went to the Keinmarkthalle - fruit, veg, cheese, meat market and the freshness of the produce was just amazing.  Tomatoes perfectly red and round and the strawberries.....amazing!  I know I keep saying amazing - but it truly is!

The Keinmarkthalle - the fruit and veg stalls are just amazing and so colourful

Our next stop was to have some lunch and as we are in Germany we decided to have some real German food.  Very fatty and full of flavour ... I have to say it was delicious.  Gebratener Fleischkase mit Wirsinggemuse und Salzkartoffeln - Fried meat cheese with savoy cabbage and boiled potatoes.

Stop for lunch and a great German cafe.

Gebratener Fleischkase mit Wirsinggemuse und Salzkartoffeln - Fried meat cheese with savoy cabbage and boiled potatoes.  I think the German version just sounds so much better.

After lunch we were in search of the old part of Frankfurt - Romerberg.  And on the way, of course I had to find a fabric shop haha!.  The fabrics were stunning and all from Europe - none from Asia.  Did I buy any fabric? ..... not this time.  I'm waiting to go to Bangkok at the end of the trip to pick up some fabric.  mmmm! I'll be in heaven!

Of course I found a fabric shop.
We found ourselves at the river in Frankfurt - the river Main.  Beautiful to say the least!




Now onto Romerberg, which was a 5 minute walk from the river and - what can I say.  The buildings are beautiful and of course old and this part of Frankfurt is a great tourist area.

Romerberg the old part of Frankfurt.

We saw a lot of these funny bikes in the mall in the morning and they reminded me of the Tuk Tuks in Bangkok.  A guy sits in the front and peddles you to where you want to go.  Ingenious ..... but we wanted to walk! 


local entertainment
beautiful art on buildings
This old building reminds me of the Rupunzel story
We met up with a good friend of Tonys for dinner.  Sabine and her two boys, Karl and Thomas.  They used to lived in Brisbane many years ago but have since moved back to Germany four years ago.




That's it for today I'm off to bed.  We have a big day tomorrow getting our hire car and heading to Koblens which is about an hour north of Frankfurt.  As Tony tends to burn the midnight oil this great eye mask has come in handy.


Gute Nacht!  (haha! you'll be able to understand German too by the end of this blog!)

2 comments:

  1. I remember that glass tunnel!! I think that shopping center has the huge elevator that bypasses all the mid floors and goes straight to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Craig. It's just amazing and it was hard to take a good photo of it

      Delete